Blogging from A to Z: OAH (On Air Hangouts)

Blogging from A to Z is a month long challenge to post every day of the month (excluding Sunday) using a different letter of alphabet. This month I'm sharing unusual book marketing tips as part of my Marketing From The Edge Series.
Before I jump into "O", I want to backtrack a second to "B: Buzzfeed". Alex Hurst commented that he had used Buzzfeed with some success to stir up interest in an anthology. She recently shared the post with me and it was such a great example, I had to share it with you guys. Alex has a catchy title, funny subtitle, great pictures and a brief but effective tie in to the book at the end. If you want to see a Buzzfeed promotional post done right, you should definitely go check out plants that will make you wish you didn't live on this planet anymore. 

And now, on to O

On Air Hangouts

Google+ is a the new kid on the social media block right now. But like the new kid who brings a new ball to the playground so the other kids will play with him, G+ is overcompensating in some spectacular ways. In fact, despite its relative newness, G+ is one of the fastest growing social media platform out there.

One of the best features of Google+ is On Air Hangouts. These video chat windows can allow for up to ten on-screen participants and a nearly unlimited amount of hidden viewers. The process is similar to Skype with fewer crashes, more features and a better interface.

The great thing about Hangouts is that they event doesn't need to be live. You can pre-record a hangout and post a link to your fans or upload to YouTube. You can also record a live show. And if that weren't enough, Hangouts now has a feature that will let you convert your hangout into a podcast so you can share it on iTunes. Did I mention all of this is completely free? Yeah, it's pretty cool.

Consider teaming up with other authors to create a regular hangout, ask a friend to interview you on air, or plan a special one-time event for your readers. No matter how you use it, a Google+ Hangout is a great way to engage your readers in a hands on way.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Google hangout is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I participated in my first chat like this recently for an interview I was asked to do. I was nervous because I had no idea what an on air hangout was, but it was really cool. People submitted questions for me to answer and the screen flipped back and forth between me and the two interviewees. It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...