Are you driving traffic away from your site?

Today is a short post, but an important one. I want to talk about links.

Links are a great way to share content, direct readers to other places they can find you and promote other writers. But they have a dark side. If not used properly, links can actually drive traffic away from your site.

Now, there's a whole SEO aspect to links that has something to do with a magical Google formula taking into account the number of links in correlation to original content, blah, blah, blah. I don't really pay attention to SEO and I have no idea how this aspect of it works. If I have a link I want to share, I share it.

But there is a right way and a wrong way, and it's a simple as one button.

 That's right, the simple "Open this link in a new window" box. You should always, ALWAYS, check this box. I can't think of a single reason not to. When you do, the link opens in a separate window that when closed, lets your reader go right back to the page they were reading. If you don't check it, your page goes away and the link is opened. That means if your reader wants to go back to your content, they have to hit the back button.



That may sound simple enough, but here's the problem. What happens when they get to the new page and want to click on a shiny new link there. And then another. And another. You see the problem. In order to get back to your original content, they have to hit the back button so many times, they'll probably give up. Or worse, forget about your content all together.

So rather than play Russian Roulette with the back button, just adjust all your links to open in a new window. It doesn't take any more time time and can help readers get the most out of your site.


11 comments:

  1. Yes! I love that box! I use it on my website all the time, but I didn't realize I could use it on my blog links. I'm definitely going to start doing this. Thanks, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I didn't realize this, and never paid any attention to those little boxes down there- until today! I just went & fixed the blog post I just posted today- there were three links in it for Goodreads, an excerpt, and an author blog. Learn something new every day. Thx again. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to miss. Glad to know you're links are now keeping your traffic where it belongs. :)

      Delete
  3. Agreed! Absolutely. That box is your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for mentioning this, Sarah! I didn't know about this until recently, but now I double-check before publishing my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip. Is that the default setting? I assumed it was but now I'm not sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably depends on what blog hosting program you are using. I always check it just to be safe.

      Delete
  6. Your post title freaked me out -- oh, no! What could I be doing wrong? -- but thank goodness, I always check that little box. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no. Sorry for the scare. Lots of folks have no idea this is even an option.

      Delete

Share the love, man...