FastDraft Round 2

I must be nutty. I've agreed to do another FastDraft with some of my writing mates. Yep, certifiably nutty.

Source

 Why have I agreed to another two weeks of pumping out a minimum of 5K words each day?My current WIP (#3) is taking too long.

I started this bad boy back in June for Camp Nanowrimo. I got about 20K words in before the enormity of it's awfulness pulled me under. So I put it away and vowed to pull it back out when I had my head in a better place.

In August I peeked at it and realized it wasn't complete garbage, but what I had certainly wasn't working as it was. I started re-writing, changing both the POV and the tense in order to make it the story I really wanted to write.

And that leads me to today. I'm still working through that original draft, digging out the random gems of goodness and scratching out lifeless prose that is only holding the story back. It is taking forever. I need a little external motivation.

Bring on the drafting.

On September 15th I'll sit down and finish this thing, even if it kills me. But before then, I need to finish sifting through what I already have. I have ten days to go through about forty more pages. This is completely doable.

After that, the fun and games begins. I already have two others who have promised to draft like crazy with me. Who else wants in?

All you have to do is set a daily writing goal (the standard is 5K words per day) and then write it. That's it. Nothing more complicated than writing every day (which you are already doing, right?). You can start something brand new or vow to finish the WIP you've been chugging away at. I'll be posting every day for a little public accountability. You can stop by and brag on yourself, too!

So, whose with me?

18 comments:

  1. You already know I'm in... :o) I'm excited....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I'm most excited to be done and have the draft of this beast finally complete! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm fast drafting right now. Started this morning. Of course I'm expecting first round edits on The Monster Within, so my fast drafting may be interrupted for a little while. We'll see. Good luck! Fast drafting is so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Kelly, go! No seriously, what are you doing on the internet? You should be writing. :) Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I'm starting fast drafting tomorrow. Don't ask why not today, lol. This time, I'm going for 5k a day like you guys. Seriously, you put me to shame when I read about your abilities to fastdraft. Will post about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, Ednah! You are a writing machine lately so I know you can do it. :)

      Delete
  4. I should join in with you. I have a novel that I'm totally dragging my feet about finishing the first draft of, and by September 15th most of my other writing commitments ought to be done... Hmm...

    I'm thinking about it. Thinking hard.

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no peer pressure of anything, but all the cool kids are doing it :) The great thing about fastdrafting a novel you've already started is that you probably won't need the full two weeks to finish.

      Delete
  5. Gosh, you are surely courageous. I'll second Rhonda: I probably should join you. Maybe set a personal goal of completing my next novel (which I've yet to finish outlining but have written four chapters), by Octoberish....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to do 5K a day. For me, it works better to have the clear daily goal instead of a "finish by" date.

      Delete
  6. Any way you find motivation is awesome whether its fast-drafting or revising (or taking a break). I wish you the best on your epic drafting journey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. Taking a break is an important part of the writing journey. :)

      Delete
  7. I set daily goals too. Right now I'm editing, so I set the number of pages in a day I want to get through. It turns out that this is a very slow process for me. Good luck on reaching your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great method. Good luck on your revisions.

      Delete
  8. I might regret this later but... I think I'm going to give this a whirl. I keep reading on other blogs about fast drafting, and I just need to give it a try, already! I'm having some serious revision fatigue on my current WiP, so this might be a nice jolt (and give me a head start on the sequel!!!!). Ok, I'm going to go do some outlining. Right. Now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I'm so excited you're going to join us. It really is more fun when you have a group of folks to help hold you accountable.

      And yes, an outline or other planning will be a lifesaver. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm drafting, but only can do between 1-2k a day. Can I still participate? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, glad to have you. Just set your goal based on what you can do. And you can always change your goal if you discover that 1 or 2K isn't enough.

      Delete

Share the love, man...