Fast Draft Kick Off

Happy Fast Draft Kick-off Day!

Source
 
I'm make this short because I have some writing to do. Today starts all the fun so I hope you're ready. Here's how the blog is going to work for the next few weeks. Every day I'll have a post up (but since I'm squeezing words in, don't expect anything genius). Stop by the blog for some inspiration and motivation and check in on your progress.

Every day you should leave a comment with your success from the previous day. So tomorrow, stop by and leave a comment to let us know how you did today. Don't forget to tell us what your personal goal was for the day and how much your wrote. Your goal can be in words, pages, chapters, scenes, anything that works for you.

Try to leave excuses at the door, but feel free to share anything you're learning that might help others to reach their goals.

I know several of you have mentioned concerns about goal setting and what number to use. To help, I've created a pretty simple goal worksheet which you can download from Googledocs. This can help if you are starting from scratch or working to finish a WIP. Just fill in the light blue boxes at the top and the document will calculate what your daily goal should be in order to finish your MS.

And because I'm anal, I've color coded the daily goal counts, which adjust based on the amount of writing you completed the previous day. So long as your goal stays under 5K per day, your boxes will stay green. But as your goal climbs (from lack of prior day progress) the color escalates to three alarm fire red. Yeah, I know. I'm a big nerd.
Drafting Goal worksheet

Since today is our first day, I'd love it if everyone writing along would leave a comment to introduce yourself and share a little bit about what you'll be writing for the next two weeks.

I'll start :)

Hi, My name is Sarah. I'm going to use this fast draft session to complete a YA Dystopian I've been working on for a while now. I'm about halfway done with the MS so the second half is in my sights.

Now it's your turn!

14 comments:

  1. Hey, all! I'm Ayden and I'll be working to finish Fall, the second book in my YA/NA series. Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, all! Im Nazarea (N~) and I'll be working on a myth retelling. This will be my fifth fast draft and though I can't do 5k a day, I am shooting for 2k and finishing the first draft next month. So excited and looking forward to getting to know y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always miss out on this stuff. I finished my fast drafting three days ago. :( Oh, well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nickie here! This is my first fast draft. I'll be using it to finish some edits on my YA story 'Bright Star', and to get a head start on the sequel.

    I'll try to post updates on my blog as well: nickieanderson.blogspot.com
    I'm awake before 7 on a Saturday, so I count that as a first step toward success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Christi. I'm working on a romantic suspense novel...#3 in my trilogy. Going into this it has about 5000 words written on it. My goal is to write 5000 words/day. smiles....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey all! :-) I'm Liz and I'll be working on an edgy YA contemporary romance. My fourth manuscript and first non-magic one. I'm at about 8k though most of that needs some rewriting/tweaking since this had been set aside for a bit and I'm a better writer now :-) My daily word count goal is 2,500 and I sadly can't write on Thursdays.

    Good luck all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooo I didn't know you were doing this. I think I'll jump in, but with a baby due in two weeks, I'm not sure how productive i"ll be!

    Hiya! I'm Eliza and I'll be working on a YA Futuristic Romance. My daily word count goal is 800 words. So far I have about 5000 typed and who knows how many hand written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am working with my friend to rewrite the first book of our fantasy series Gates of Hiaduma. We completed it a couple of years ago and after having fresh eyes on it, saw room for a rewrite. This is my second Fast Draft. I failed last time only for poor plotting. Since we already know where this is going and splitting the book up, 2,000 words a day is cake.

    If everything seems under control, you are not going fast enough. -Mario Andretti

    Just write. It's going to be a crappy first draft. Accept it. Babies don't come out all cute and cuddly. They are mucus covered whining sacks of flesh, but you keep on raising them until they hopeful become something to hold your pride. So push it out, revise later.
    ^Such a guy thing to say, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3100 of 60000.
    4000 tomorrow.
    How did everyone do for day 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You beat me to the punch, Dave. Great work. I have a Day one post up now. I'll try to get them up at midnight for your early birds. Or night owls. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi I'm Lexa, and I'm totally goofing off while I query my most recent novel - but you guys are AWESOME!! Keep up all that hard work. :-)

    ~ Laura at YALitChat
    http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...